MUSICONICA
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books you've been reading. Or does anyone read anymore?  (Read 14778 times)
OR Chasms
BRUH! Member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 01:19:23 PM »

I was always a highly inefficient/unreliable reading machine. I liked to start many books at once and often finished none of em. It works out well now since i get all my books from the library. Renewal is the only way I might finish anything, and often someone requests what i'm reading and i have to return it, so starting alot of books makes finishing one more likely. I can't recall now why I was inclined to ribbage (habit?); I am a respecter of James' former reading frenzy. I think it made me work harder to keep up. Gabe, however, would put all of us to shame. I think he read 40 books in 30 days this winter.
eschaton47

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 10:24:03 AM »

The funny thing is that, despite the fact that I may have actually finished a lot of books back in the day, I think to me it was more of a race thing, like a notch on the bedpost.  There seemed to have been little actual enjoyment/understanding involved.  I realize this now that I have lately been sneakin some peaks at some of the old faves: 'Infinite Jest,' 'V' and 'Vineland.'  In the case of 'V,' I honestly cannot remember if I ever "finished" it, and I find it so much less convoluted than it seemed 10 years or so ago to be.
I have also been reading Neil Shute's 'On the Beach,' a fairly entertaining and melodramatic post-nuclear yarn that was the basis for a fairly non-entertaining TV movie of the same name, and perhaps also the inspiration for a Neil Young album.
Sadly, these days, I pretty much just read during commercials and never really finish anything.  The last books I "finished" reading were William Faulkner and Donald Antrim novels I had read once or more before.  Before that I think it was some Chuck Palahniuk book from a short period in which I tried to like Chuck Palahniuk.  It didn't work.
I should also probably read a book called 'How to Get a Haircut,' as a person described my hair last night as looking like a 'tree in winter.'  The fact that the person who made this remark was Meghan "Queen of Mean" Dooley has much to do with the fact that that statement makes little or no sense, and a lot to do with the fact that, yes, I need a haircut.
See?  I'm still a writer at heart.

Did You Just Mention A Genital?
bernhard
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 11:21:49 AM »

There is apparently now a social networking site for readers/writers.

www.goodreads.com

I actually joined this one out of my own free will.
Jzeorine
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 08:36:01 PM »

I've been finishing up all of Palahniuk's books. I'm on "Haunted". Then I need to read "Choke"... and hopefully "Rant" if I can get my hands on it.
dr. girlfriend
POWER Member

lindsaydreher@hotmail.com whatdoyouthink77
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 08:47:03 PM »

'Still Life with Woodpecker' by Tom Robbins
& 'The Watchmen' by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons

next
'The Myth of Sisyphus' by Albert Camus

official girl of the internet.
Akbar Shabazz Jenkins
demigod Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 08:58:40 AM »

I only read comic books, I think this makes me your social betters. Kiss the ring.
Grade Master Flash
HOLYCRAPDUDE Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 01:30:45 PM »

"Dave Gibbons"

No! Don't use THAT clock, you don't have enough time!!!
eschaton47

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 07:06:36 PM »

Dave "Jar Jar" Binks.

hardbern
ninja from the yakuza of underground tuneage
BRUH! Member

One, ah ah ah...two ah ah ah...THREE ah ah ah!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2011, 11:07:21 AM »

I guess I have been electroshocked back into reading!

Hitting area thrift stores for books has become a highly affordable obsession for me lately. I am nearly entirely into things of non-fiction. History, reference, cultural studies and art collections are the big categories for me presently.

I have acquired two encyclopedia sets, both from the early 1960s. I would like one more from the late 1990s, just to see some acknowledgement of late 1960s music icons. Another encyclopedia set, particularly an Americana, from the 1940s would also be cool.

Books could also very well become the next record vinyl of value. I could see enough people throwing away their books to the point that they become rare.

eschaton47

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 08:44:56 AM »

My aunt reminded me over the weekend of a short story collection she loaned me years back: Marquez's 'Strange Pilgrims.'  Went out and bought it and read some of the stories.  So good.

hardbern
BRUH! Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 02:25:35 PM »

The Buddy Holly Story
Unlikely Brothers-John Prendergast w/Michael Mattocks
Wizard: The Life and Times of Nikola Tesla-Marc Seifer

CAPTAIN CAMARO
OG3
demigod Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »

Is that Tesla book pretty neatO?

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!
-Swedish Chef
hardbern
BRUH! Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »

Is that Tesla book pretty neatO?

Yes, that book is pretty amazing.

It goes into detail about his rivalry with Edison. It also elaborates about the years he worked for Westinghouse. This book by Marc Seifer is the real deal, as preferred to some fraudulent books about Tesla that exist.

Make any good cheese lately?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by webtechnica.com.